Skip to main content

#6 Blue Banisters by Lana Del Rey

 


This past Friday, Lana Del Rey released her seventh album in her discography. This is her second album to be released this year. Though her last album was not bad at all, Blue Banisters completely blew Chemtrails Over the Country Club out of the water. Blue Banisters seems to be what Chemtrails Over the Country Club was trying to be. 

What COCC was missing in comparison to BB was having heart-punching, emotional songs. Even though I do not think the album was a flop, it definitely did not have songs that have been in my rotation. There were none that I really thought were as memorable as compared to almost every song in Blue Banisters. They both have similar sounds and intricate lyricism, but one was just executed better. 

Some songs that stand out to me on Blue Banisters are “Living Legend” and “Dealer”. These two songs alone are what make this album stand out. Her lyricism in “Living Legend” is elegant, as she is singing to her lover, aka her “living legend.” The lyricism is beautiful, but what really makes this song a masterpiece is her outro to it. She uses her vocals to simulate a guitar by repeating the phrase “Why why why.” Her production team manipulated the sound on it to be extremely identical to a guitar. On my first listen, I could not determine on my own if I was listening to a guitar or vocals. Absolutely stunning. 

My favorite song, and honestly one that I believe is in the running for being her best released song, is “Dealer”. The lyrics are so simple but impactful, her not using very intricate lyricism makes this song have even more emotion. She shows her vocal range and emotion as she belts the lyrics, “I don’t wanna live! I don’t want to give you nothing, ‘Cause you never give me nothing back. Why can’t you be good for something? Not one shirt off your back.” This is her message to her drug dealer and her addiction. This song is as if she is confronting her demons head on and we are witnessing the whole argument. The emotion belted into the chorus sends chills, as you can tell she was screaming from the heart. This song is one of her most emotional songs to be released, and personally one of my favorites.

Overall, Lana Del Rey has proven time and time again that she is not capable of making a bad album. Although it was established a while ago, this album just adds more evidence that she is going to go down as one of the best singer and songwriters of this generation. Now go stream Blue Banisters!


Comments

  1. Hey, Miyali. Your four new entries are looking great! You have thoughtful content that is well developed and connected to your reader, and you are taking the appropriate time to create a visual flow and experience that is engaging to your audience. Very nice work. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Me!

       Hi! My name is Miyali Lias (pronounced Mia-lee) but people know me better as Miya. My name is Korean and Hispanic, and to many people, very awkward to pronounce. This school year is my first year attending Glendale Community College, I am a full-time student planning on majoring in Political Science but am also prepared if something changes my path. I am also a cosmetology student at The Studio Academy of Beauty.      With my busy schedule its hard to keep up with my interests, but my main ones include cosmetics and spirituality. I spend a lot of time reading my tarot cards, interacting with my crystals, and keeping up with the  alignment of the stars and planets . All of it reassures me I am going the right path in life. Another big interest of mine is my music. I absolutely love listening to music and truly appreciating production and lyricism. Some of my favorites at the moment (its always changing) is Lana Del Rey, 21 Savage, Mac Miller, and SZA.      My biggest pet peeve is

#9 And Now You Know

  Have you ever taken a second to question where a majority of animal by-products come from? Have you ever questioned how those products get placed on the shelves of grocery markets? Taking a second to do a basic google search on how these products are produced would be beneficial, but since you are already here I will elaborate. The industrialization of farming has been quite possibly the worst thing that has ever come to farming. 99% of farming products like meat, dairy, produce, etc come from these kinds of farms. Why is it so bad? They take cheaper routes to make their products and use methods that are inhumane to animals and just shy of being lethal to humans. Dairy farming is one of the most guilty productions of this. They are extremely inhumane to their cows by injecting them with drugs that make them overproduce milk than what they naturally produce. These drugs then make their way into the products we consume daily. Another way they hurt humans is because of the pollutio

#7 Fresh

  Food has always been a staple in survival for humans thru generations and generations. As time progressed food distribution has evolved from simple farming to huge corporations mass-producing everything from produce to bottled water. The movie, Fresh, really deep dives into what is happening in these farming facilities and how things go from the soil onto grocery store shelves. Its purpose is to explore the exploitation of animals and the cheap products used to grow produce. I was already hyper-aware of the corruption happening behind closed doors, but to many, this is a very big eye-opener. This film is projected to educate those who never thought about where their dinner was coming from. Fresh does not hold back on the ugly side of this industry by providing real interviews on both sides of the farming world. It shows the thick line that separates who is farming for the greater good, versus the farmers doing it for the most profit.  Although I was very hyper-aware of this indu